Fancy writing fiction?
A half-day Saturday workshop with me and creative writing guru Bridget Whelan will help get you started…
‘Whether you want help with the start of your novel, have a short story that needs fine tuning or this would be the first class in creative writing you have taken, Bridget Whelan and I can help improve your skills in a supportive, confidence-boosting workshop,’ says Sarah. ‘We’re confident that it doesn’t matter if you’re a complete beginner or are more experienced, it’ll get you going because there’s something so motivating about working with others.’
‘We’ve been running them over the summer and both of us have enjoyed the sessions hugely,’ says Bridget. ‘And the joy of teaching is that we find we learn something new each time too.’
The 3.5 hour sessions take place in Sarah’s home very close to the centre of Brighton. You and up to five others (max) will be welcomed into her cosy living room with its fire and long dining table ideal for writing or pretty patio garden, depending on the season. Lunch prepared her my chef husband is included and we’ll cover as many of the following topics as time allows:
* Character creation – making characters memorable and believable, avoiding stereotypes and being original
* First and third person storytelling – exploring the choices you have
* Plotting – where to start, how to stop a flabby middle, endings
* Editing – a practical exercise to reveal your inner editor
Plus three subjects rarely covered in writing courses:
* Feedback – how to survive critical comments
* Dialogue – how to make conversation sound natural and drive narrative
* Up-to-date insights on the publishing industry
Or drop Sarah an email at email@example.com.
Are you working on a story right now? Send through the first 1000 words ahead of the workshop and Sarah or Bridget will read it and chat briefly at the end with you, providing supportive one-to-one feedback.
The workshop includes a delicious lunch and refreshments.